Today’s Hagia Sophia is in the same place but the third structure made with an architectural understanding different from the previous ones. This structure was built by Emperor Justinian (527-565), the two important architects of the period, the Tralles (Aydın) Anthemios and the Miletos (Balat) Isidoros. During the construction work, together with two head architects, 100 architects and 100 workers at the disposal of each architect is working in the resources. The construction was started on February 23, 532, and was completed in a short period of 5 years and 10 months, and opened for worship in 27 December 537. The building, which was the Church of 916 years, was converted to mosques by Fatih Sultan Mehmed in 1453 and was used as a mosque for 482 years. With the decree of Atatürk and the decision of the Council of Ministers in 1935, Hagia Sophia opened its doors as a museum.
Adresse und Kontaktdaten:
Adresse: Ayasofya Müzesi Sultahmet Meydanındadır.
Telefon: 0 (212) 522 17 50
Faks: 0 (212) 512 54 74